|Portrayed by||Simon Merrells|
|First Seen||All Tomorrow's Parties (voice only)|
|Last Seen||Son of Man|
|Powers|| Telekinesis |
|Birth Name||Hugh Bathory|
|Occupations|| Co-founder of Ultra |
Leader of Ultra(formerly)
|Family||Cassandra Smythe (daughter) †|
|Status||Alive (presumably in Limbo)|
|“||How could a boy, even one as special as you, hope to turn the clock backwards?||”|
Hugh Bathory (aka The Founder), was the leader and founder of Ultra. He was among Ultra's telepathic specialists who can be "plugged" into their Brain Trust system. He is also the father of the late Cassandra Smythe. He was the primary antagonist of Season 1.
He was portrayed by Simon Merrells.
In Death's Door,
In Modus Vivendi,
In Kill Switch,
In Son of Man, he manages to activate the Machine, however Stephen takes advantages of that and traps him in Limbo by sucking Bathory into the portal generated by the machine.
Hugh Bathory has a cold personality as he would let his own species die as he would prefer to be in the winning team. In the episode of Thanatos, he ordered one of the guards to kill a telepath for insulting Jedikiah Price. However in later episodes Endgame, Smoke and Mirrors he is show to have a compassionate side in Endgame, his daughter dies in his arms and he breaks down in tears in front of Stephen and John. In Smoke and Mirrors, the founder tells Stephen that he was not always aware of tomorrow people's powers were being taken and later goes on to tell him about a project he and a part of Ultra have been working after he pretends to take away a tomorrow person powers but when nothing happens he explains to Stephen that in past years he has helped others tomorrow people escape; Jedikiah had simply put tracking chip in them and not removed their powers his motives for this is unknown but later he shows Stephen a machine that can help bring the tomorrow people to Limbo.
He has icy blue eyes. He has short dark brown hair that is styled messy, he has brown eyes and he's 5"11.
Hugh Bathory was Stephen's boss at Ultra.
- Telekinesis - The ability to move objects and people with his mind. He is one of the more advanced telekinetics on the show. He was easily able to overpower John with minimal effort. He was able to use telekinesis to stop John's punch and later Stephen's punches as well. He was capable of not only overcoming a D-Chip but he shattered it into hundreds of little pieces using his telekinesis.
- Telepathy - The ability to hear the thoughts of others and project the thoughts of oneself. He is also arguably one of the most powerful telepaths on the show. He was able to sense the presence of someone after they left the room. He was able to plug into the system and scan the entire city until he found the location of the person he was looking for.
- Teleportation - The ability to instantly transport oneself and others to another location.
- All Tomorrow's Parties (voice only)
- Death's Door
- Things Fall Apart
- Smoke and Mirrors
- Modus Vivendi
- A Sort of Homecoming
- Kill Switch
- Son of Man
- He is planning on grooming Stephen for his ultimate role which is to use him for "The Machine" in case something happens to his father.
- The Founder's name Hugh Bathory is likely a reference to Elizabeth Bathory, also known as The Blood Countess.
- The destruction of The Machine and the transport of Hugh Bathory to Limbo led to the end of The Shadow War.